Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Under sink cont. Windlass & galley light

I got the heat exchanger mounted and all the proper fittings all fitted out with scrap hose -- boy do I have a lot of scrap hose.  I pulled out all the stuff I'm eliminating.  Gross!  One even had diesel contamination.  Must have been the unused one that sat open in the engine room.  I thought I would be filling the now unused holes with epoxy, but they are going to need serious cleaning, probably a little sanding to get down to bare wood.

I used the putty to seal around the wire exit from the mast and the holes in the base.  Now I need to wait for some good rain to test it.

I installed the contactor for the windlass, and it worked.  I wire brushed it a little and it is corroded all over.  I removed the bolts to try and remove it, but it is frozen tight.  No point in breaking it, I'm going to paint it in place.  I don't know how I'll clean it yet - I'd like to sand blast, but what a mess that will be.

I tried to install the 12v outlet over the sink.  I drilled the hole, but I was going to take the current from the wire going to the other deck outlet so it would be on the "Outlets" breaker.  Either I'm going to have to run the wire from the other outlet back 10' to the new  outlet, or I'll have to unbundle all that wire to trace it back where I can splice another wire into it for the new outlet.  I'll only use a foot of wire for that.  I'll need a #8 butt connector or a terminal block and some ring terminals.  Just running the wire back is looking better.

I wanted to finish something, so I installed a LED light over the sink.  I had to drill into the engine room from over the galley sink without drilling into a DC-DC converter for the motor controller or the motor controller itself, and they were only 3/4 apart.  I got it right in the center first time.

I taped all the containers in my tool bag together.  They were falling over and making a mess.  Looks good now, I'll see how it holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment