Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Exhaust & Fuel

12/1/2010
Well the sound shield from SoundWaves is finally finished and it is going over to PolarPower for testing.  Much of the work I wanted to save until the genset was here I'm going to do in advance based on my calculations and the pictures.  (I hope I don't have to take any of it out and re-do it.)  They should finish testing this week and should ship it next week.  We'll see...

I got another supprise from PolarPower.  Instead of the two small panels I was told to prepare for, they have combined them into one large panel that really doesn't fit anywhere!!  I spoke to Richard, the engineer, and he said he would separate the stuff  into three pieces which I hope I can shoe horn in around the wires.


Between stints on the phone with SoundWaves and PolarPower I got the old exhaust hose out and tested the fit of the new one.  Then I prepared the attachment for the raw water for the genset and then drilled the hole for the hose.  Then I mixed some epoxy and: coated the inside of the fresh hole; fixed some trim that had come loose; glued a reinforcing patch back in place (some reinforcing... it came loose when I removed the screws for one of the exhaust hose clamps); made some experimental epoxy "buttons" to hold the new engine room floor mat in place; and last but not least, epoxied a sleeve over the transom exhaust fitting so the larger hose would fit on it.  I'm hoping the restriction at the end of the run won't cause excessive back pressure.  If it does, I'll have to cut the fitting out and install a larger one.



12/2/2010
Well the epoxy buttons work!  The bimini is also done.  I got the exhaust hose installed, and wiggled the wires around so that the three panels needed for the genset will fit.
There won't be space left for much more equipment in the engine room.

I took the pattern for the dodger window that I made last time home and smoothed the curves and made it symmetrical.  There was too much change to sew up, so I brought the patterns back and set them up today.  Good thing I didn't sew it.  The curve of one of the pieces was significantly off.  I modified the patterns and made them symmetrical.  Getting the sizes exactly right around inside and outside curves is nearly impossible.  If I'm careful I can adjust it by changing the seam allowance around the curves... but it will take planning ahead.
12/3/10
Well I decided to replace an ugly hose for the shower and as I was cutting off the hose I thought for a second that I was cutting toward my hand and sure enough the knife slipped and I slit my wrist.  Everett was on the dock and he took me to the Inner Banks Urgent Care -- they were great!  I was in and out in half an hour and back to work in 90 minutes.  I got about 8 stitches.


Then I got the new fuse holder mounted along with the battery combiner switch and got the big connections for the power feed from the panel, grounds attached and the connection to the starter battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment