Friday, November 5, 2010

Lots of picky stuff, but no visible progress


This trip didn't start out so well.  I was going to test the new bimini, but in the rush to finish I forgot to put the new side panels on it, effectively making a new bimini with just the old design.  It fit nicely, but I took it down and put it in the car so I wouldn't get annoyed when I saw it.
Rain was coming, so I got out the big tarp and put it over the boom covering the whole cockpit and half of the cabin.  I tied it in a new way, and it fits quite well.

The wood cleats that held the battery and fuel tank needed to be removed because the battery is moving forward and the fuel tank is moving aft 10 inches.  They were screwed and epoxied to the sole.  I used a chisel to break them loose and break them away from the screws which were epoxied into their holes.  Next I took one of those little torches and heated the screws to soften the epoxy so I could turn them out with a vice-grip.

This is before I removed the wooden cleats (on right) and realized
the hoses were in the way of the fan (left rear).
Next I started to grind the remainder with the belt sander, but the switch failed and it wouldn't turn on, so I switched to my 4" grinder which finished the job in just a few minutes - boy that tool cuts fast with a 36 grit wheel.

I plan to mount the vent fan that sucks air out of the motor compartment and blows it into the engine room in a 6" PVC elbow.  It turns out that the three heater hoses cover the exact location where the hole into the motor compartment must go (naturally).  So I detached the ends of the hoses and drained 4 gallons of old antifreeze and pulled the hoses out of the way so I could drill new holes under the sole routing the hoses under the genset instead of against the bulkhead.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning out the old holes, filling them with epoxy and drilling new holes for the relocated heater hoses.
Note how the holes are behind the shaft making tool access difficult.

Close up of the new holes and a filled hole.

The bad news from the day is that the brackets I made for the heat exchanger will be impossible to install without removing the "octopus" (which is the hot glycol storage tank), and  they also need to to be bent somewhat differently.  It's too bad because it could have worked nicely.
Friday:
I spent most of the morning replacing the mocked-up plumbing in the head with the real thing.  There are more than 40 hose clamps under the sink.  Next I installed the fan vent from the motor enclosure into the engine room.  I used my new cut-out tool and it burned its way slowly around most of the circle, and I finished it off with a hand saw.  Then I was looking at the heat exchanger bracket and decided that I could epoxy the ends of a rail against the underside of the shelf so that in the middle, the top of the rail is 1/8 inch below the underside of the shelf where the heat exchanger is going such that the brackets can slide in the slot between the rail and shelf.  That will hold the back ends of the brackets, and I can screw in the front easily.  Finally I designed the vent in the quarter berth.  It is simply a wall that cuts a long skinny triangle out of the bunk for an air intake chase.  It is tucked way up in the forward corner and is 24" long and tapers from 5" to nothing and rises to about an inch from the ceiling.

The boat is a mess to say the least since everything had to be pulled out of the way to do the work.  But the worst part is that all the hose holes that aren't sealed up create a situation where water can leak from the shaft compartment into the engine room and main cabin -- it's never leaked, but is the most vulnerable spot, and now it isn't isolated from the rest of the boat like it usually is.  By the time it leaked an inch into the main cabin there should be three bilge pumps going.

No comments:

Post a Comment